Every couple of years I do a Ryanair v easyJet price comparison. This year I've decided to take it further and compare more than just Ryanair and easyjet's prices.
Ryanair v easyJet - The Full Comparison
Ryanair v easyJet Price Comparison
The 2011/2012 version!
Of course, while a price comparison works as a snapshot of the differences between the two airlines, the only thing that really matters is which airline is cheaper on the route you need. Always use a price comparison site such as Vayama or Skyscanner rather than going direct to the airlines' websites.
To get a fuller picture of the differences between Ryanair and easyJet, check out the links below:
Ryanair v easyJet - Luggage Policy
Which has the better checked and hand baggage policy?
- Ryanair v easyJet - Best Destinations in Spain Ryanair has more destinations, but which airline has the best?
Ryanair v easyJet - Ease of Use
Which has the easiest website to use?
And how easyJet's fees compare.
Ryanair vs Easyjet Price Comparison 2009Over two years ago I did my second price comparison. See how the prices today compare to those in 2009.
- Ryanair v easyJet Price Comparison 1: The Business Trip
- Ryanair v easyJet Price Comparison 2: The Long Weekend
- Ryanair v easyJet Price Comparison 3: The Summer Vacation
Ryanair vs Easyjet Price Comparison 2006And here is the first Ryanair v easyJet price comparison. What's changed over the years?
How this itinerary was chosen
The London-Barcelona itinerary was chosen as a typical Valentine's Day weekend break in a city that both airlines advertise flights to.
This is just a sample itinerary. Flight prices vary dramatically between airports, dates and how far in advance a booking is being made.
Notes on Ryanair & Easyjet Price Comparison Table
All prices were charged in Pounds Sterling on the website (as the outward flight starts in a UK airport) and then converted to euros. Some prices differ if origin airport is in euroland.
- Itinerary Both flights depart from London Stansted; Easyjet fly to Barcelona's main airport, Ryanair fly to Reus, an airport 100km away from Barcelona. Ryanair also fly to Girona, also 100km away. Both airports are labelled 'Barcelona' airports on the Ryanair website.
- Advertised Price Prices on airline website 10/16/06, before taxes, fees and charges are added.
- Taxes, Fees + Charges Ryanair explain their fees as 'Government Tax', PSC and 'Ins & Wchr Levy'. Easyjet do not explain theirs on the booking page.
Hand Baggage Allowance Easyjet's hand baggage limit is double that of Ryanair. Bags checked into the hold with Ryanair cost 5ï¿½ in advance and 10ï¿½ on the day. With Easyjet it costs 7ï¿½ in advance and 14ï¿½ at the airport. From November 1 2006, Ryanair's checked baggage allowance is going down to 15kg per person (down from the previous 20kg). Additional luggage will cost 5.50GBP/5ï¿½ per kg over the 15kg allowance.
Both Ryanair and easyJet have hand baggage size restrictions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (21.6" x 15.7" x 7.8"). To make sure your luggage meets these standards, get one of these Carry-On Suitcases.
Price for Taking a 15kg Bag Each 15kg is the weight of a sample case I packed - including change of clothing (including evening wear, wet weather clothes), toiletries (including hairdryer) a book, snacks and reading material for the plane.
Ryanair requires that you check a 15kg bag into the hold, with Easyjet you can carry it on to the plane.
- Credit Card Fee Easyjet adds a single 7.50ï¿½ for the transaction, Ryanair adds 2.50ï¿½ per journey per passenger. If flying alone, Easyjet's credit card fee is higher than Ryanair's. If flying as a group, Ryanair's fees are higher - a family of six will pay 30ï¿½ in credit card fees.
- Transfer from Airport to Barcelona Center Easyjet flies to Barcelona, a 3ï¿½ bus each way per person. Ryanair flies to Reus, an 11ï¿½ bus each way per person.
- Insurance Insurance is option with both airlines but both add it automatically - customer must remove it themselves.
Go to Ryanair vs Easyjet Price Comparison Table >>