Need to keep in touch with loved ones while on your travels in Spain? There are a number of options open to you for making international calls here. Matters are made much easier if you have a cellphone that is compatible with Spain's network (some older American phones won't be compatible).
First things first: find out of you have a compatible phone. Your phone needs to be unlocked and GSM compatible.
More on Telephones in Spain
- Area Codes in Spain
- Spain Country Code
- Make International Calls in Spain if you don't have a compatible telephone.
Get Multiple International Phone Numbers on a Single Phone
By far the best solution now for making international calls in Spain is the new Toggle Mobile service, which gives you nine international phone numbers on a single SIM.
Check out my Toggle Mobile review.
The Most Convenient Phone and Data Solution When You're in Spain
If you don't have time to book order a special SIM for traveling, the Tuenti SIM from Telefonica is easily available and includes the following:
- 1Gb of Data for internet and email on your smartphone
- First 30 minutes of every phone call within Spain is free
- Free to receive calls from any country.
- Calls to the EU cost 36c per minute (with a 60.5c connection charge).
- Calls to other countries cost 1.03€ per minute (with a 96.8c connection charge)
You can get a Tueni SIM at the Telefonica building on Gran Via in Madrid and, I believe, any Movistar store.
Read more about Tuenti international tariffs
Happy Movil SIM card
Happy Móvil charges 5.8c per minute for calls to landlines in Western Europe, the US & Canada and Australia. Cell phone calls cost 20c per minute (5.8c to the US and Canada). Taxes are not included in the above cost and there's also a 30c connection charge . Receiving calls is free, no matter where the call comes from.
Advantages of Happy Móvil
- Very easy to use Buy the card, put it in your phone and voila you have a Spanish SIM card. Just dial the numbers as normal.
- Low initial cost For 10€ you have a card with 5€ of credit that you can start using straight away. According to the Happy Movil website, this 5€ will get you 71.5 minutes of call time to calls charged at 5.8c/min. Note this is for one continuous call - because of the 30c connection charge, if you make more calls you will not get the full 71.5 minutes.
- Not the cheapest calls When you add the 30c connection charge and the taxes, the price becomes less competitive.
Calls within Spain are also cheap: calls cost 15c/minute any time of day (10c/minute to other Happy Móvil users), plus tax.