Festival Highlights in September
In addition to the aforementioned flamenco festival, there is plenty more to attract you to Spain in Spain.
In Catalonia, there are three days of festivities in the middle of the month in Graus (Sept 12-15), with the highlight being the Mojiganga satirical procession. The latter part of the month is dominated by the Festa de Santa Tecla in Tarragona, Catalonia, including Castellets (Sept 15-24)
Then there's the biggest festival in Barcelona, the Festa de la Mercè (Sept 22-25), a centuries-old celebration that includes fireworks, people on stilts and, of course, copious amounts of alcohol.
Complete List of Festivities in September
Note: these dates are liable vary slightly each year. Check exact dates in local press.
- August 18 - September 9, 2012 Vuelta a Espana, Spain's version of the Tour de France. Events take place largely in the north of Spain (Galicia, Navarra, Basque Country and Catalonia) and around Madrid.
- Late August/Early September Festival of Pedro Romero, Ronda. Bullfighting festival.
- 29 August - September 2, 2012 Festa Major de Vilafranca del Penedés. Castells (human castle-building) and more traditional festivities.
- First week of September, 2012 - Tarifa has its festival, the Fiestas Patronales de la Virgen de la Luz.
- First Week of September, 2012 Fiestas de la Mare de Deu de la Salut in Algemesí (Valencia).
- September 1, 2013 Bullfighting in Madrid. Book tickets for bullfights in Madrid or see the full Bullfighting Schedule for Madrid 2013
- September 1-2, 2012 (dates vary each year) Fiesta de la Beata in Santa Margarita (Mallorca).
- September 7-16, 2012 Teruel in Aragon has its Teruel ham fair.
- September 2-8, 2012 Fiestas de la Vendimia in Valdepeñas (Ciudad Real). Grape-stomping festival, with the 8th being the most important date of the event.
- September 3-30, 2012 - Bienal de Flamenco, important flamenco festival in Seville. Festival is every two years, in even years. (2006, 2008, etc).
- September 3-6, 2012 Fiestas del Motín in Aranjuez (Madrid). Re-enactment of a local peasants' rebellion in 1808.
- September 4-9, 2012 Fiestas de Moros y Cristianos en honor de Nuestra Señora de las Virtudes. Villena (Alicante). Moors and Christians festival.
- September 6 and 9, 2012 Cascamorras in Baza and Guadix, Granada, a bizarre festival involving throwing paint and water at each other.
- September 6-10, 2012 Fiestas de Moros y Cristianos in Caudete (Albacete).
- September 7-17, 2012 Festival in Albacete, a couple of hours west of Valencia and Alicante.
- September 8, 2013 Bullfighting in Madrid. Book tickets for bullfights in Madrid or see the full Bullfighting Schedule for Madrid 2013
- September 8, 2012 Ferias y Fiestas de La Consolación. Utrera (Sevilla).
- September 9, 2012 Romería de la Virgen de Gracia. San Lorenzo de El Escorial (Madrid). Religious pilgrimage.
- September 9, 2012 (dates vary) Romería de Nuestra Señora de la Barca . Muxía (La Coruña). Religious pilgrimage.
- Second Week of September, 2012 Entrada de toros y caballos in Segorbe near Valencia. Taunting of bulls by men on horses.
- Second week of September, 2012 - Feria de Mijas, Andalusia.
- Mid-September, 2012 Film Festival of the Atlantic, Alcances in Cádiz.
- Second week of September, 2012 - Salamanca has its Fiesta de la Virgen de la Vega.
- September 11-16, 2012 (TBC) - Jornadas de Guitarra guitar concerts in Denia, near Valencia.
- Second Sunday of September, 2012 Romería de Nuestra Señora de Chilla. Candeleda (Ávila). Religious pilgrimage.
- September 15, 2013 Bullfighting in Madrid. Book tickets for bullfights in Madrid or see the full Bullfighting Schedule for Madrid 2013
- September 15, 2012 Toro de la Vega. Tordesillas (Valladolid). A particularly nasty festival in which a bull is sacrificed in the streets of Tordesillas. The festival predates bullfighting as we know it today by a number of years.
- September 15, 2012 Fiesta de la Vendimia, Ainzón, Zaragoza. The Campo de Borja wine region has its grape harvest festival, with plenty of grape stomping, starting around midday.
- September 15-24, 2012 Festa de Santa Tecla in Tarragona, Catalonia, including Castellets (human castle building). The 22nd and 23rd are the biggest days.
- September 17-21, 2012 Real Feria y Fiesta de la Vendimia . La Palma del Condado, Huelva, Andalusia. One of the oldest grape harvest festivals in Spain.
- September 19, 2012 Día de América in Asturias, Oviedo (Asturias). Celebration of the emmigrants who left Oviedo for the New World.
- September 21-29, 2012 - San Sebastián International Film Festival in San Sebastián, surprisingly.
- Around September 21, 2012 Fiestas de la Vendimia Riojana . Logroño (La Rioja). Wine harvest festival. Yup, that means more grape stomping.
- September 22, 2013 Bullfighting in Madrid. Book tickets for bullfights in Madrid or see the full Bullfighting Schedule for Madrid 2013
- September 22-25, 2012 Festa de la Mercè, important festival in Barcelona.
- September 29, 2013 Bullfighting in Madrid. Book tickets for bullfights in Madrid or see the full Bullfighting Schedule for Madrid 2013
- Last Sunday of September, 2012 Día de Campóo. Reinosa (Cantabria).