The results of this survey was surprising. Not only did easyJet beat or tie with Ryanair in every single criteria, it appears to beat every airline in Europe as well.
- How Strict is the Ryanair Hand Baggage Allowance? See the surprising pictures!
- European Airline Hand Baggage Allowance Comparison Who has the best hand baggage allowance in Europe? Who has the worst? (It's not Ryanair!) See the latest rules.
Ryanair v easyJet: Hand Luggage Policy
Ryanair v easyJet: Hand Luggage Dimensions
- Ryanair 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (21.6" x 15.7" x 7.8"). This is below the industry standard.
- easyJet 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22" x 17.7" x 9.8"). This is the industry standard.
Ryanair v easyJet: Hand Luggage Weight Allowance
- Ryanair 10kg. This is standard for budget airlines and higher than many other airlines.
- easyJet Unlimited. This is the best I know of for any airline in Europe.
Ryanair v easyJet: 'Duty Free' Policy and Overweight/Extra Bags Brought to GateRyanair caused quite a fuss when they started fining people bringing bags of duty free to the gate. easyJet slipped the same rule by a few months later and faced little scrutiny. In fact, since then, both airlines have had to relax there rules at some of the smaller airports (and not so small ones too - Malaga has also got the rules relaxed).
- Ryanair Depends on the airport.
- easyJet Depends on the airport.
Ryanair v easyJet: Checked Luggage Policy
Ryanair v easyJet: Checked Luggage Weight Allowance
- Ryanair No free allowance. 15kg standard allowance, 20kg if you are willing to pay a little more. Prices differ depending on route and time of year. Maximum of 20kg.
- easyJet No free allowance. Passengers may check as many bags as long as the weight is under 20kg per person, but they can buy reduced-rate excess baggage online for a relatively low cost.
Ryanair v easyJet: Checked Luggage Dimensions
- Ryanair Unlimited.
- easyJet Unlimited.
Ryanair v easyJet: Can Groups Share Checked Luggage Allowance?
- Ryanair No. Each person's checked luggage allowance is unique to them. Nor can passengers pool their own allowance when they have paid for one more than bag. Each bag must fit within its own allowance.
- easyJet Yes. Passengers buy their luggage allowance as a group. As long as the total is under 20kg per person, they can carry their luggage however they like.