Breakfast in Spain tends to be a hurried affair - usually just a coffee and some toast or sweet pastry, maybe with a glass of orange juice. But there are a few places that offer something slightly better.
1. Cafe CommercialOne of the most famous cafes in Madrid, with a vibrant history (during the civil war it was the base for the anti-Franco forces in Madrid). Breakfast time is when this bar is most likely to be full of people from all walks of life. Great for people watching.
Address: Café Commercial. Glorieta de Bilbao 7
2. Chocolateria de San GinesChocolate con churros is Spain's most famous breakfast. Madrid's finest churros can be found here.
Address: C/ Pasadizo De San Ginés 5
3. Cafeteria Magerit in Plaza MayorEveryone wants to eat in Plaza Mayor because of the impressive surroundings. But most of the food here is of substandard quality and is seriously overpriced for Madrid. Breakfast, on the other hand, is a viable option in Plaza Mayor. They can't mess up a coffee, a slice of toast and orange juice, and though six euros is a little much for this, it still won't break the bank.
Address: Plaza Mayor 22
4. 100 MontaditosThis chain restaurant is good for breakfast as it offers a variety of toppings for your freshly baked (well, part-baked) bread roll, including Philadelphia cheese, tomato, olive oil and pate. At under 3 euros, it is quite reasonably priced too, though the orange juice isn't freshly squeezed.
Address: Several locations, including Calle Montera 34 (Metro: Gran Via) and Calle Mayor 22 (Metro Sol)
5. HontanaresThis cafe, restaurant and pastry shop is perfect for those with a sweet tooth.
Address: Calle Sevilla 6