What is the best beer in Spain? Here are my favorites.
Note that we're talking about mainstream beers here, but even then many of these may only be obtainable in some parts of the country.
For craft beers, you'll need to go somewhere like 2d2dspuma, a beer lovers' bar in Barcelona.
Read more about Beer in Spain or see my top ten Spanish Drinks.
1. Mahou ClásicaA standard 5% beer in Spain, available mainly in Madrid and some places in the north-west. Many prefer Mahou ***** (Cinco Estrellas), but I always go with the original Clásica - especially as it's the only one of the two that comes in big one-liter bottles!
2. Alhambra ReservaA strong (6.4%) lager, available mainly in Granada. Alhambra also makes a standard larger and another premium beer, Alhambra Especial. All three are good beers.
3. Estrella GaliciaA standard 5% beer, mainly available in Galicia and the North-West.
4. DammFrom Catalonia but widely available in supermarkets throughout the country, if not common in bars. Their 'Voll Damm' brand is a double malt and 'Estrella Damm' is a standard (but quite good) lager.
5. San Miguel NostrumSan Miguel's 'extra' lager, at 6.4% it is slightly stronger (and much nicer) than their standard beer. Not often available on tap.