Situated 20 minutes drive from El Escorial, itself one hour from Madrid, was built by order of General Franco, Spain's dictator from 1939 until his death in 1975. The gigantic cross and huge crypt were erected specifically to honor the deaths of people who died 'for Spain', Franco's way of saying those who supported him. It was built by those who were 'against Spain', the left-wing prisoners of war that Franco's people captured during the war.
The size of the cross above the basilica has to be seen to be believed. This photo is taken from the bus, approximately 10 minutes drive from the cross itself, but still it dominates the horizon.