- Madrid Day Trips
- El Escorial and Valley of the Fallen Guided Tour
- El Escorial Pictures
How to Get to El Escorial from Madrid
- Take the 664 or the 661 bus from Moncloa Bus Station. The 664 is quicker.
- Take line 8 of the Cercanía (local train) from Atocha, Chamartin, Nuevos Ministerios or Recoletos (on Paseo Castellana, near Gran Via).
What to Do in El Escorial
- The spectacular monastery, Monasterio de San Lorenzo del Escorial.
- The Crypt in which the majority of the Spanish Kings are buried, from Charles I (who died in 1556) through to Alfonso XIII (died 1931) through Philip II, Philip III, Philip IV, Charles II, Louis I, Charles III, Charles IV, Ferdinand VII, Isabel II, and Alfonso XII.
- To complete your tour of deceased Spanish rulers, General Franco (dictator who ruled Spain for much of the twentieth century) is buried in the Valle de los Caídos. Transport to El Valle de los Caídos is difficult, so it is advisable to take a guided tour of El Escorial and El Valle de los Caídos.
Entry into all of these activities is free with the Madrid Card.