What's Happening in December in Spain?:
If you know you'll be visiting Madrid or Barcelona, check out these lists instead:
Other Festivities in December:
- November 30, 2012 - January 6, 2013 - World Press Photo Exhibition 2012 at the CCCB in Barcelona.
- December, 2012 - Christmas time in Spain! There will be Christmas markets all over Spain throughout the month, with the bigger ones in the larger cities. There is a website for the Barcelona Christmas Market. There are some interesting traditions in Barcelona, including the Tió de Nadal, also someone crudely known as "Cagatio", which means "shitlog", as he is supposed to "shit" your presents for you. I don't think this particular Christmas tradition will be appearing in any Coca-Cola commercials any time soon...
- December 7-23, 2012 - Els Grans del Gospel 'Gospel Greats' festival in Barcelona.
- December 8, 2012 - Inmaculada. Christmas starts here. Biggest in Seville.
- Mid-December, 2012 - Gospel Festival in Madrid. 2012 dates still to be decided.
- December 16, 2012 - Buff Epic Run Fancy dress fun run on Montjuic hill in Barcelona.
- December 19, 2012 (date TBC) - 'Noche Vieja Universitaria' (University New Year's Eve) in Salamanca. In 2011 there was a tapas fair in the streets of Salamanca.
- December 21 - Winter solstice bonfires in Robledo de Chavela (near Madrid), Olombrada (near Segovia), Castrillo de Don Juan (near Palencia) and Viniegra de Abajo (near La Rioja).
- December 22, 2012 - El Gordo, the massive Spanish lottery, is drawn. This lottery is so big, they start selling tickets in August! Read more on Christmas Lottery in Spain - 'El Gordo'.
- December 23, 2012 (date TBC; usually last Sunday before Christmas) - Migas festival A celebration of the traditional fried breadcrumbs meal, in Torrax. See pictures here: Pictures from Migas festival
- December 24, 2012 - Christmas Eve (Nochebuena), a far bigger event than Christmas Day. Expect most shops to close early on the 24th and remain closed until the morning of the 26th.
- December 25, 2012 - Christmas Day - a quiet day, with most shops closed, though many bars open in the afternoon.
- December 26, 2012 - Polar Bear Swim in Gibraltar. A bracing swim in the chilly Strait of Gibraltar. To get to Gibraltar from Spain, drive or take a bus to La Linea and walk across the border.
- December 26, 2012 - January 6, 2013 The touring Cirque du Soleil show, Alegria, comes to Barcelona.
- December 28, 2012 - El Baile de los Locos y del Oso Musketeers, dancing swordsmen and a man dressed as a bear in this festival in Fuete Carreteros, near Cordoba.
- December 28, 2012 - Santos Inocentes, Spain's version of April Fools' Day.
- December 28, 2012 - Flour Fight, known as Enfarinats, in Ibi, near Alicante. Click on the link for the amazing pictures.
- December 23, 2012 - Flamenco performance by Miguel Poveda in Barcelona as part of the De Cajon Flamenco Festival.
- December 28, 2012 - Verdiales festival in Malaga. Verdiales is a form of flamenco.
- December 31, 2012 - Fun Runs take place in Madrid and Barcelona. Madrid has the San Silvestre Vallecana and Barcelona has the Cursa dels Nassos. See the Cursa dels Nassos race route.
- December 31, 2012 - New Year's Eve (Nochevieja).