May is great to to visit Portugal. Temperatures are warm and mild and the spring showers are dying off, though there is still the chance of a little rain. The Douro Valley has some of its most comfortable temperatures and the droves of tourists haven't arrived yet. It never hurts to pack a lightweight waterproof jacket for cool nights and potential rain.
Weather in Lisbon in May
May is your last chance to enjoy Lisbon before high season begins and typically has comfortable temperatures to enjoy your sightseeing. In recent years, temps could be as high as 95/35°C and mins as low as 48/9°C, but these are extremes.
- The average maximum temperature in Lisbon in May is 70.52°F/21.4°C.
- The average minimum is 55.94°F/13.3°C.
- The average rainfall in May in Lisbon is 55.6mm/2.19".
Weather in Porto in May
May is a great time to visit Porto. You'll have nice temps for walking along the historic Ribeira and can enjoy a port wine out on a terrace. Just bring a lightweight jacket, especially for cool nights. In recent years, temps could be as high as 91°F/33°C and mins as low as 43°F/6°C.
- The average maximum temperature in Porto in May is 66.92°F/19.4°C.
- The average minimum is 51.8°F/11°C.
- The average rainfall in May in Porto is 97.6mm/3.84''.
Weather in the Algarve in May
May has great weather in the Algarve. Typically, not much rain and warm, comfortable temperatures. If you are looking to start your summer early, the Algarve is a great place to do so. Bring a lightweight jacket for cool nights. In recent years, temps have been as high as 98°F/37°C and mins as low as 46°F/8°C.
- The average maximum temperature in the Algarve in May is 72.32°F/22.4°C.
- The average minimum is 54.86°F/12.7°C.
- The average rainfall in May in Faro is 20.1mm/0.79''.
Weather in Douro Valley in May
Temps are similar to those of Northern Portugal. May is a great time to visit the Douro Valley, as temps are mild and the rainy season is coming to a close.
- The average maximum temperature in in May is 67.46°F/19.7°C.
- The average minimum is 47.3°F/8.5°C.
- The average rainfall in May in Vila Real is 66.5mm/2.62''.